The AAOS (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons) recently released their list of unnecessary orthopedic tests and procedures. This is part of the "Choose Wisely" campaign which is, at least theoretically, supposed to assist patients in making proper health care decisions.
As the article released from Healio states:
"AAOS provided the five following recommendations for the Choose Wisely campaign:
- avoid performing routine postoperative deep vein thrombosis ultrasonography screening in patients who undergo elective hip or knee arthroplasty;
- do not use needle lavage to treat patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee for long-term relief;
- do not use glucosamine and chondroitin to treat patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee;
- do not use lateral wedge insoles to treat patients with symptomatic medial compartment osteoarthritis of the knee; and
- do not use postoperative splinting of the wrist after carpal tunnel release for long-term relief."
While these recommendations do not necessarily affect our practice as chiropractors, it is important to be familiar with the list so you may help guide your patients. I am sure we all have patients who have had, or are scheduled for, some of the procedures on this list. It may be in the best interest of your patient if you are able to provide them with information which may steer them away from invasive and ineffective treatments.
JOIN US TODAY AND RECEIVE ZIP CODE EXCLUSIVITY AND A 30 MINUTE IMPLEMENTATION CALL IN ADDITION TO IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO OUR MEMBERS VAULT AND YOUR CUSTOMIZED MONTHLY MD RESEARCH BRIEF. MEMBERSHIPS STARTS AT $25 WITH NO CONTRACT!
-The Evidence Based Chiropractor is the fastest growing chiropractic outreach group in the profession. The service, founded and run by Dr. Jeff Langmaid, is dedicated to increasing chiropractic utilization by showcasing research. Marketing to medical doctors through research is proven, cost effective, and can dramatically improve your incoming referrals. Join us. Lets grow chiropractic together.